The article includes optimistic prognostications about the length of the downturn from James Surowiecki and economist heavyweight Kenneth Rogoff. Nice to see that my prediction of a couple months back is still in good company. Here's Rogoff:
Still, it must be noted that negative output growth for more than two years is a relatively rare event, even in the aftermath of severe banking crises. Historical statistical relationships are perhaps cold comfort in a downturn that now seems so insidiously different from previous catastrophes. But they should not be dismissed.
There, I feel better already. And certainly if I had any money, I'd be investing it right now. But that aside, there's still the interesting question about whether the boom & bust cycle is in fact the result of "a herd of hysterical lemmings," as Free Exchange puts it, or rational economic actors responding to a poorly structured market environment. The answer, as Mark Thoma discusses, matters a great deal for what policies are going to be most useful in softening the downturn.I'm still leaning towards the hysterical lemming model, but that's mainly because I prefer the mental image...
(image from consumeist with apologies to Larson)
No comments:
Post a Comment